Thursday, April 03, 2008

Slam Dunk

I don't normally use this space to post raves. The last thing I would want to do is compromise our organization's reputation for being a thoughtful, objective critique of contemporary advertising culture. However, today I have to risk venturing into fanboy territory to say that I am quite fond of Dunkin' Donuts commercials. More on that shortly.

In particular, like much of America I've been taken with the series of spots featuring original (and uncredited) music by They Might Be Giants. Those readers who know me will understand why this one especially resonates:



There have been many more like this and I encourage you all to check them out if you haven't seen them. Apparently they are all online here.

Why do I like these spots so much? Well, I have liked They Might Be Giants for a long time, and I have liked Dunkin' Donuts for some time as well. It's kind of a no-brainer for me. But it's not just the elements that are appealing, it's the genius of the combination, and what it says about the band and the brand alike.

As a rock band known for its offbeat lyrics, TMBG has often been able to transform everyday phrases, actions, and thoughts into unexpected lyrical triumphs. They have turned "theme songs for the mundane" into something of a cottage industry. Someone at Hill, Holliday (Dunkin's advertising company) must have recognized this and realized that this cottage industry was rolling out a product they could use. (Even if They weren't actually selling it, yet.)

Why is this a perfect match? Because the Dunkin' Donuts brand is all about the mundane. It's not snooty Starbucks. It's joe for the Average Joe, the guy who works in the municipal building, takes the kids to karate, goes fishing (early), and generally does things. And Dunkies is where you get the food and drink you need when you're doing things. Dunkin' Donuts is not something spectacular and exciting that makes your life better in some important way. It is, simply, an integral part of your everyday routine. And your everyday routine, including your coffee and donuts and what-have-you, is important enough to deserve its own theme music. Brilliant.

The "America Runs on Dunkin" campaign is the latest in what has been a fairly successful series for the brand. Most people probably remember "Fred the Baker", played with gusto by Michael Vale (who lived in Lenox, MA, near my hometown - another reason I've always had a soft spot for Dunkies ads), who captured the ears of a generation with the simple catchphrase, "Time to make the donuts." Then, as now, their commercials worked on the three key levels: They reinforced the brand image, they were amusing without trying too hard, and they even managed to advertise the product - probably the least important aspect of a commercial, but impressive when they actually manage to do it right. The only thing that has changed has been a diversification of the target audience. Only Dunkin's can simultaneously run ad campaigns featuring They Might Be Giants and Rachael Ray. You can't help but be impressed.

If I had a faculty appointment, I could teach a class.

1 comment:

limonene said...

See, every time I hear that "everyone runs on Dunkin line" my first thought is that this Dunkin chap must not have much of a throwing arm. And that makes me realize that maybe I've been watching too much baseball.

On a related note, you're probably going to get a real kick out of the scoreboard subway race in July.